Thursday, August 25, 2016

Alaska: Air Show

While we were driving in to Anchorage on Friday night for our anniversary I happened to notice that there were some really low fast planes flying around. The Blue Angels were practicing for an air show on Saturday! So we checked it out online and found that it was free and went from about 10am to 4pm on Saturday.

Little did we know that deciding to leave at 1pm just to see the Blue Angels at the end was not a wise decision.  We sat in traffic trying to get in for probably almost 2 hours.

We watched some planes from the road, this one was pretty amazing in its maneuvers.

And then by the time we finally found some kind of parking place and walked in... the show started 10 minutes early so we were barely at the entrance and not near the actual show area.

Of course you can see them for miles so we still got to watch!

They really are amazing!

Then mobs of people started leaving and we heard that they were closing down and were bummed that we had wasted our day, but it turned out that only some of the planes on display were closed and we got to walk through a few of them still!

Checking out the seatbelts.  I think this was a regular C-130 type.

Joy would not even look at me she was so enthralled pretending to fly this plane!  Future pilot!

Noah and Shalom

It's pretty exciting to be in the cockpit of such a big plane!

This one was next in line, even bigger, but closed.  They had flown in from all over for the air show.

This C-5 Galaxy is the biggest plane I've ever seen.  We walked through it, and right out a ramp on the other end just like this one.  I'm pretty sure my entire house would have fit inside width wise, and perhaps 2 times lengthwise!

You can sort of see Dahlia and the kids back under the wing next to the wheels...

Unfortunately the line was quite long to go up in the cockpit of this one and then they did close it down too.  It's up under where the nose is tipped up.

The week was catching up with the girls... after another almost hour home in the car this is how they were!

But they perked up again when we got out some paints for them before dinner.  Princess Sophia to the rescue!

Of course after that day it was the night that we stayed up ALL night talking (just the adults) and it was exhausting, but soul refreshing to actually get to talk to friends about life.

The one and only sunrise I saw in Alaska.  In the two weeks we were there they lost an hour of daylight, half in the morning, half at night, but still the sun was coming up at 5:30am and going down at 10:30pm when we left.  The morning one isn't so unusual, but the evening one really threw us all off!

0 lovely comments:

Post a Comment

Shower me with your wit, your wisdom, or your funny stories! And please leave an email address if you would like a reply.