Wednesday, November 07, 2007

The Great Microwave Disaster of 2007

Sometime this summer - maybe June-ish - someone decided to make a bag of microwave popcorn. (Now I'm not naming names here, but let me just say... it wasn't me!) Anyways, our microwave has this handy little button on it that says "popcorn" and when you push it, it magically pops your popcorn the right amount of time. Well, actually it goes about 5 seconds too long, and you know in the land of microwave popcorn 5 seconds makes a HUGE difference! But I digress.

Someone put in the bag of popcorn and pushed the magic button and then walked away. The only problem was that this was a mini-bag of microwave popcorn. Which means that it was done in about a minute. And the microwave kept going until there was serious flame-age coming out of the bag and smoke.

Oh the smoke.

It filled the entire apartment. The smoke alarm went off. It smelled HORRID! Good thing it was summer because we had all the doors and windows open and a fan blowing trying to get rid of it. I took Cory and went shopping with my mom. When I returned a couple hours later you could actually see (seriously, we had thick nasty smoke in here!), but it still smelled bad.

I proceeded to wash out the microwave, but it was permanently scarred. It's this lovely burnt yellow/orange color not only on the inside, but on the outside as well. After awhile it mostly lost it's burnt stench, but every once in awhile when it was re-heating something it would give off that lovely aroma. Lately the aroma has been coming out more and more often. Until tonight when I was getting Cory's dinner up to room temperature and stopped it by opening the door. I fed him his sweet potatoes (which he loves) and then went to shut the door to the microwave. It turned back on. Which is not a normal thing for it to do. I pushed clear and tried again. It turned on again. I opened the door, pushed clear and closed it. It turned on. I pushed clear/stop while it was running. No effect. So I unplugged it.

I'm thinking? The microwave is officially dead. Not to mention that I read somewhere... If you ever have a fire in your microwave? You're supposed to throw it out or at least take it in and have someone look at it.

It has served us well. Considering it was a "hand-me down from a friend's double microwave wedding". We've used it for 2 1/2 years. It's just the right size to fit under the cabinet on the counter in our too small kitchen. And you know I depend on the microwave... I wonder how long I can live without it? =)

I'll let you know!

5 comments:

  1. Amber9:02 PM

    You are welcome to our microwave, which is in perfect working order! We are going to make it obsolete as we remodel our kitchen and install a range hood microwave.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, first time stopping by here! Love your template header, great pictures! Microwaves are such a headache. I once lit one on fire trying to warm a wet rag for a patient! Hope you find one soon, I could not live without one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We didn't have one our first year of marriage and it was the best thing ever! We learned ways to heat up food that actually made things taste better (chinese food is way better re-fried rather than microwaved), and I stopped buying as much frozen foods and cooked a lot more fresh foods. I hardly use ours now that we have one in this house. You may find out that you like it better with out the microwave and with the counter space instead!

    ReplyDelete
  4. mrs. mustard6:12 PM

    Do we have the same microwave?
    We've had the same thing happen over here. Well, it was NOT me, it was my stepdad. Him and his popcorn obsession.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, does your apartment still smell like the communal kitchen at the office? :)

    ReplyDelete

Shower me with your wit, your wisdom, or your funny stories! And please leave an email address if you would like a reply.